Potato White Bean Leek Soup
Something I find so fun about seasonal eating it buying random veggies at the grocery store, and bringing them home to come up with a dish. I know leeks aren't super exotic or anything, but I've rarely used them in my home cooking.
A lot of the times my "wing it" meals come out pretty random. Tasty, but random. Then other times, like last night, I convince myself I should be a four star chef (kind of like when I play one good hole in golf and think I should go pro). Jk, but this is pretty damn good soup.
Maybe it’s just the kid in me who likes to play the “what’s in the fridge” game, but my creativity gets expressed in the kitchen. This isn’t SUPER creative, but it was fun to take a simple recipe and add whatever I had/felt like…and when we tasted it, it quickly became our favorite soups! So I went back and wrote everything down to share.
Soup game is STRONG.
POTATO BEAN LEEK SOUP (vegan, gf)
1 leek (use more if you have them but for some reason I only bought 1 lol), cleaned and chopped
5 smallish russet potatoes, cleaned, peeled, chopped
2 white carrots, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Pepper (I put A LOT... I think it makes this dish incredible)
1 bay leaf
4 cups vegetable broth
Not going to lie, I added Vermont cheddar cheese and collagen peptides to each bowl :)
Chop everything up.. doesn't need to be perfect. It's all getting blended up anyway!
1. Saute the onions, garlic, shallots, carrots & leeks til soft. Sprinkle with S & P.
2. Add the cut up potatoes and saute for 5 minutes, then lower heat, cover and let them 'sweat' for 10.
3. Add the broth, beans seasonings, and some more salt & pepper. Bring the whole pot to a boil, then turn down to low, and let it simmer for 30 mins.
4. Once the potatoes are soft, throw the whole thing in the blender or use an immersion blender.
5. Top it with salt, pepper, a drizzle of truffle oil, cheese, collagen, or whatever your little heart desires.